Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights


    Hi everyone! It's Stephen Gaiber: The Autistic Traveler here again. Today I am going to wish you a happy Halloween for your trick or treating and candy eating. For my first time, I figured I'd go to Universal Studios: Halloween Horror Nights. Let me tell you, it's a lot of fun. From mazes of some of your favorite movies, to seeing Halloween props, to being chased around by all the horror creatures, what a fun night. This is definitely an event one should check out this Halloween.

The first Halloween Horror Nights started in 1991 at Universal Studios in Florida, then expanded to Hollywood in 1997, then to Singapore in 2011, to finally Japan in 2012. Universal Studios had horror events before Halloween Horror Nights and in 1986 had an actual tram tour. I went on the tram and had a lot of fun seeing all the Halloween props and characters popping up and running around with chainsaws and I loved their makeup. The theme for this year's Horror Nights was True Fear Comes From Within. Their attractions include The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Trick R' Treat, The First Purge, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, The Horrors of Blumhouse, and Universal Monsters. Some of the mazes I liked and felt that the characters and props did a good job being creepy and looking scary, while others I wasn't a fan of.




     Some of my favorite mazes and attractions include the Universal Monsters and the Terror Tram. The Universal Monsters was basically, as the title suggests, all the Universal Monsters coming in and scaring you when you are walking around the room full of blood and props. Those props can include sets from the movies. The way that the mazes work are you walk around with a bunch of people and you check out all the rooms in the maze. The blood on the floor and set pieces get YOU to wonder what happened. This was my favorite maze because of all the monsters that one sees and how YOU feel that YOU are part of that maze by seeing what happens.

     My second favorite part of Halloween Horror Nights was the Terror Tram. This ride is basically like the Universal Studios Tour. It drops YOU off to the studio backlot and those parts of the tour become a bloody mess full of scares. In the backlot, YOU see the plane from War Of The Worlds and the Psycho House. Horrible killer clowns and bloody butchers come in and sneak up from behind you to make you feel uncomfortable as other characters come around to cause a fright by popping out of nowhere. This is definitely a part of Horror Nights YOU don't want to miss and it's a good idea to do this first because it closes earlier than other parts of Halloween Horror Nights.

     Other mazes I liked were the Trick R' Treat and The First Purge. They both contain characters and props from the movies. They are pretty much the same as the other mazes with characters popping out of nowhere and waiting for the right moment to appear. I enjoyed them because of how I enjoyed the set pieces and had a lot of fun. Those are worth waiting in line for.



     Two very timely mazes include Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers and Stranger Things. I luckily was able to use my disability pass, which allows one to avoid waiting in line for anything over 30 minutes, for both of those mazes. The line for Stranger Things was 110 minutes when I came back for my return time. They are timely because of the new Halloween movie and people love Stranger Things right now. I feel the Halloween maze was just ok. It lacked the scares or creativity that other mazes had. I have only started watching Stranger Things now, so I didn't know what I was getting into when I entered the maze. It was nothing exciting, but it did show some props from the show as well as the children were terrified by the creepy monster. Both mazes, of course, did the props and scary monsters popping out of nowhere. While I can't say both mazes were terrible, I liked other mazes such as the Universal Monsters, the Terror Tram, Trick R' Treat, and The First Purge.

     Overall I had a really fun time at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights. It was really nice to see all the Halloween props for the night. Be prepared to wait in long lines though. Because the lines were so long, I was not able to check out the Poltergeist and Walking Dead maze. This would definitely be something worth doing for adults on Halloween instead of trick-or-treating. I look forward to doing another Halloween event next year and sharing it with YOU. Please watch my YouTube video on Halloween Horror Nights at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU393lVRQjU.

No comments:

Post a Comment